Hot Breakfast


Well it is Monday morning and i just finished an entire pot of hot blueberry green tea. That is, after I ate a full breakfast of two eggs, chicken sausage and two slices of sprouted-grain toast.

I will have to say that, when we first had Lily, I didn't think I would ever be able to enjoy a hot breakfast again. I remember thinking that I might never be able to do anything for myself again.

Back then, Lily had colic. I know that lots of parents say their babies are "colicky" or had colic - but I don't use the term loosely. Real colic begins around 3 weeks of age and is characterized by 3 or more hours of inconsolable crying, 3 or more days per week. Typically, colic ends around 3 or 4 months of age. Adam and I absolutely adored Lily - even while we were taking turns holding and loving on her while she screamed nonstop. We walked the streets of our neighborhood with her as she wailed. We bounced her, cuddled her, walked with her . . . most of the time - nothing worked. And - even though I knew that the colic wouldn't last forever - it seemed like it might.

But now, at nearly 8 months old, Lily is so content. And, in the mornings, she is especially calm and glad to just play alone while I make and eat breakfast. She, typically, sleeps at least ten hours a night and takes two good naps during the day. I'm sleeping better than ever. And we are ever so thankful and amazed at this content little baby we have.

I have a couple of friends who just had babies. They are concerned that they might never get eight hours of sleep again. Let me pass on some encouragement and a little advice. You will sleep again. Your body can handle this temporal stress of no sleep. Just try and keep the nights comfortable for yourself. Load your iPod with good podcasts and music for up-all-night feedings. Have some of your favorite chocolates hidden near the changing table - to make getting out of bed (again) not so bad. Put the most comfy blanket in the rocking chair and cuddle up with baby while you two rock. And cherish these moments. They won't last long.

I just took a little break from typing to put my sweet Lily down for her morning nap. I'm going to return a couple of phonecalls and catch up on some housework during this napping hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Love is Amazing

In the Middle of the Mess, By Sheila Walsh - A book review

The Sacred Slow, by Alicia Britt Chole - A Book Review